FTTx – FTTH & FTTB networks usually are planned and designed by operators purely to have been served for residential customer access – so the ONU – Optical networking units have usually the IP, CATV and 1 or 2 POTS – FXS ports, even not a FXO for connecting the PABX. What about traditional E1?
No, it is NOT dead, and TDM services are still popular, as E1 line is still widely used for PRI – Primary Rate Interface transport to connect a PABX – private branch telecom exchanges.
Some GEPON manufacturs were trying and in fact still try to market ONU’s with the E1 interface, but they are very expensive, and also lead times can be high, and OLT with several E1 interfaces to be get out at the center are very expensive either. Besides, it is even more inconvenient for the the network service provider to keep ONU’s with E1 interface in the stock, and then wait for FTTB customer to appear, to go and install him exclusively the ONU with E1 interface. And what about idea if OLT has 16 E1 ports, and you need connect just 1 customer at this branch? Your price per port for the E1 leased line over the GEPON then in fact goes to sky!
AD-net comes up with a more effective and easy solution now.
Figure 1: Adding TDM over IP equipment at the ONU side gives a way to send
PRI/E1’s over PON networks.
So, what’s the way to solve it?
– if you need up to 2 E1, or AN-TDM-IP-4E1 units, if you need up to 4E1 at same customer location, this will be most likely a business center or companies office.
Now, all you need to do, is connect at the OLT side same unit, and that’s all – you had made the PRI, or regular E1 G.703 leased line over the FTTH / FTTB EPON network.
The benefits of such approach are as follows:
– No need invest and keep in stock expensive ONU with a E1 interface, and wait until the customer request comes up;
– No need invest in E1 ports at OLT side, which makes a price per leased line port over PON extremely high;
– Easy and fast to develop;
– E1 service can be made at existing ONU, without changing and ONU, just adding the TDM Over IP devices.
Related information and links:
To read more about the AD-net TDM over IP range, click here…
All models of GEPON equipment are here…