Depending on design requirements and the size of the project, network might require telecommunication room or rooms. It is a local termination point for the work area, which is located conveniently enough. It is necessary to have at least one telecommunication room per floor in the multi-floor building. It is recommended that the maximum distance between workstation and the telecommunication room should be less than 90 meters (approx 300 feet).
Designer should plan floor layout taking this recommendations into consideration, and should add more telecommunications rooms if necessary. Fiber is preferred mean of connecting telecommunications rooms to equipment room. Star topology should be used for this connection.
Alternative for telecommunications room is the telecommunications enclosure which offers same functionality without need of dedicating entire room for networking needs. However servicing telecommunications enclosures might be more difficult than telecommunications rooms.
Recommendations for the telecommunications rooms
Here are some standard recommendations for the telecommunications rooms issued by TIA/EIA:
- Telecommunications rooms are dedicated exclusively for telecommunications functions;
- Equipment non related to telecommunications should never e stored or installed in telecommunications rooms;
- Telecommunications rooms should be connected to other rooms with conduit or pathway at least 78 mm or 3 inches;
- The loading of the telecommunications rooms floor should e ale to support more than 2.4 kilopascals (50 lb f/ftr);
- Two separate branch circuits with at least one AC duplex electrical-outlet receptacles;
- If there are more outlets, they should be placed 150 mm (6 inches) above the floor with 1.8 meters (6′) intervals between them;
- Access to the telecommunications grounding system;
- Temperature should e the same as in the adjacent rooms, ensuring positive pressure;
- At least one telecommunication room per floor;
- Location of the telecommunications room should be as centered in respect to the working area as possible;
- Seismic requirements should be met;
- Light sources of at least 500 lx should be mounted 2.6 m (8.5′) above the floor;
- No false ceiling can be installed;
- Lockable door or 2 m x 0.91 m size (36 x 80 inch) that opens outward or slide side-to-side;
- The equipment that CAN be located in the telecommunications rooms include:
- main distribution frame;
- phone systems;
- power protection;
- uninterruptable power supplies;
- LAN equipment;
- file servers;
- data processing equipment.